Thursday, March 22, 2012

Frank Schaeffer:

Since the 1970s the American culture wars have revolved around a fear of Sex and women no less insane and destructive than any horror story to come out of Afghanistan.  The issues of gay rights, abortion, premarital sex, virginity, abstinence, and the "God-given role" of women (make babies, love Jesus, and shut up) have dominated our political/social debates.  Why?  Because sexual politics (American style) illustrates how deranged societies become when ideas about Sex are based on literal interpretations of the biblical "account" of the "facts" of existence.

Sex, Mom, and God, p. 50

2 comments:

Frank Schaeffer said...

Thanks so much for reading and quoting my book. If you have a college or other group in your area that would invite me to speak, let me know. Drinks on me if I'm invited! Best, Frank

Amy E. Hall said...

Frank, thanks for WRITING Sex, Mom, and God! It's actually one of my favorite books. I'd love to have you speak in the area (or enjoy an evening of conversation with you). I'll certainly let you know if I can conjure up a way to invite you to Nashville.