Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Rachel Held Evans:

Frustrated by the mixed messages I'd received throughout the years about what it means to practice "biblical womanhood," I committed a year of my life to examining (and often practicing) all of the Bible's teachings about womanhood -- no picking and choosing ... I studied all of these passages in their contexts, often to discover they might not mean what I'd always been told they mean.  For example, Proverbs 31 is regarded by Hebrew scholars to be a poem that celebrates what a woman has already accomplished, not one that dictates a domestic to-do list likely to intimidate the domestically challenged among us.  I learned that nearly all of the Bible's instructions regarding female modesty have to do with excessive wealth, not sexuality.  I learned, too, that marriage and motherhood are far from the only female vocations celebrated by Jesus and the Apostle Paul. 
 
"Slant"

No comments: