Saturday, June 14, 2014

Quote of the Day

Pat [Mitchell] said to me, "Kerry I've worked with TED for a really long time, no man has ever said to me, I'm not ready to speak. But for TEDxWomen, you are part of a long list of women who have denied me by saying they're not ready."  I realized what that meant is, we as women put ourselves in this situation of feeling like we can't take a risk.  Like in order to step out there we have to be perfect because we're scared that if we don't say the right thing, or do the right thing, it will reflect poorly on ourselves and our community whether that be women, people of color, both. … I'm telling on myself because I didn't [speak] … I don't do that often, but when I do, I know that it's not good for me and it's not good for other women.  We each need to not be afraid to take risks. We need to be willing to be uncomfortable, to be flawed, to be imperfect, to own our voice, to step into our light, so we can continue to inspire other people and employ other people and make room for more and more voices and presence.
 
-- Kerry Washington, "Kerry Washington Stuns in First Post-Baby Appearance, Fangirls Over 'Frozen'"

No comments: