Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Quote of the Day

When I was struggling with whether to leave, I read two types of writing.  Writers like Spong, Borg and Vospar comforted those on the fringes of my religious tradition, calling all manner of disbelief acceptable.  Having written such books, I knew their inadequacies.  The rest were anti-religious.  Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris threw out the baby with the bathwater, demanding total renunciation and accusing religion of every imaginable evil.  Their judgments rang false.  What I sought was someone living in the middle -- appreciative of all the goodness of religion, but acknowledging its ultimate insufficiency for many.  Frustrated, I wrote what I could not find.
 
-- Jim Mulholland, "Why I Left Religion, Wrote a Book and Alienated Friends and Family"

No comments: